The Memorial Concert Band of Colonie April Concert
- When: Wednesday, April 10, 2013, 7:30 p.m. to 9:15 p.m.
- Where: Colonie Central High School, 1 Raider Blvd, Albany, NY 12205
- Cost: Free
- Age limit: All ages
- Categories: Classical, Live
The Memorial Concert Band of Colonie will present its next concert on Wednesday, April 10 in the Mark Cornell Auditorium, Colonie Central High School at 7:30 PM. The theme for the concert is “A Potpourri of Our Musicians’ Picking”. Associate Conductor Arthur Himmelberger asked the band members to suggest pieces for programming, and the response was overwhelming! Our musicians, many with decades of concert band experience, contributed their best ideas for music that is engaging, fun to play, and even more fun to listen to. The music spans the centuries - from the baroque (JS Bach) to contemporary (Julie Giroux). Highlights from the program are:
• The huge, powerful “Finale” from the “New World Symphony” by Anton Dvorak.
• The quiet, tender “Nimrod” from the “Enigma Variations” by the famous English composer, Sir Edward Elgar featuring an arrangement by the well known composer of band music, Alfred Reed.
• Tuneful pieces by French opera composers Jacques Offenbach and Georges Bizet.
• The soothing “A Trumpeter’s Lullaby” by Leroy Anderson featuring the trumpet section principal Marty Zavadil.
• And, of course, marches: Kenneth Alford’s “Colonel Bogey” (think theme from the movie Bridge on the River Kwai) and E.E. Bagley’s stirring “National Emblem”.