"It might be burned, but it's still home," said Karen Taylor, Naparty's girlfriend and Alisha's mother.
She stooped to pick up a child's watch from the ash-covered rubble that remains of the porch.
"I want Ty Pennington here," she joked. "Can you call 'Extreme Makeover' and tell them to come?"
Officials have not determined the cause of the fire, but Naparty suspects a battery-operated children's car might have malfunctioned.
The house caught fire once before, about 13 years ago. Daughter Sandra Naparty, 23, who was in third grade then, didn't think she'd have to relive that experience. She was preparing to move back into the house when the fire broke out.
"I just can't believe this happened again," she said. "At least then it could be fixed."
The community's support has made things a little easier, the family said. The Red Cross gave the seven-member family hotel vouchers, personal care items and food assistance. Radio station Fly 92.3 collected donations, and the neighbors raised $500.
"It renewed my faith in humanity, I'll tell you that," Karen said.
Donations may be sent to the Red Cross or partner agencies assisting the family. For information, call 800-831-0927.""