Quantcast

Pinewood Intermediate School celebrates golden anniversary

Some of the distinct differences in the school from 1958 to now include the school's population and number of classrooms.

In honor of the Hula Hoop, which only cost $1.98 in 1958, students and teachers took part in a competition to see who was most agile. Librarian Mindy Holland outlasted everyone in the competition, Hula Hooping for about 15 minutes non-stop.

In 1958, there were 458 students at Pinewood in 14 classrooms. Today there are 700 students in 40 classrooms.

A merger of the Bigsbee Union Free School District No. 8, the Carman School District No. 13 and the Pinebush Common School District No. 9 formed Pinewood Intermediate School.

Today it is known as the Mohonasen Central School District.

In 1958, the district expanded the Carmen school, but still needed more space and built Pinewood at a cost of $985,000.

Pinewood was named for the all pine trees that were near the site, where the school is located. Today several pine trees are still growing behind the building.

"Pinewood School is not just a structure or a building, it is a house, a house built in 1958 for a family which continues to grow bigger and bigger each year" said Assistant Principal Deborah Kavanaugh. "A community of students, educators, board members, parents and community members who come together to support learning, build relationships and share experiences."

Some memories submitted by alumnus of the school include safety patrol, the strawberry festival, air raid drills and tackle football.""

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment