Preparations began in June and by the middle of August, two cords of hard wood were purchased for tables to be built and tents were put up. Chicken was cut, wrapped in cheese cloth, precooked and cooled in refrigerators ahead of time. Canners, wash boilers and large kettles to hold coffee were collected from the neighborhood and on Labor Day morning around 5 a.m., bakers started a fire in the pit and the festivities began. A Jonesville fire truck was always parked close by to extinguish any accidents.
Today, the church is known for its gothic revival architecture, stained glass windows " some of which are original " and the bell tower, which was restored.
Clifton Park residents might know the Edison Club at 891 Riverview Road as a distinguished country club, host to golf outings and wedding parties. But in 1920 when it was being conceived, it was almost going to be a "man's club." Thomas Edison, inventor of the lightbulb and longtime employee of General Electric in Schenectady, is who the club is named after. In its early planning stages, records show that employees of GE had a barroom discussion while waiting for a train and thought a "man's club" would be a good place to meet socially and develop the friendships that had been growing within their business relationships. This did not, however, come to fruition and it has grown as a country club for years.
Another town residence, built by Barent Palmerton in 1816 when he purchased 118 acres from his father, was also a popular meeting place. This one, however, was a bit more secretive.
"The house changed hands frequently through the 19th Century," said Scherer in his research. "Oral tradition indicates that during Prohibition in the '20s and '30s, the house served as a speakeasy."