0. What would you bring to the school board? I bring my time and attentiveness to the BOE. I enjoy attending school events featuring our students and do so regularly. This gives me the opportunity to have sustained interactions within the Schalmont community and allows me to bring the voice of the parents and students to the BOE process.
0. Free response. Take 50 words to say anything you'd like on any topic.
0. We have an honest budget for 2010-2011. 2011-2012 will be a much tougher year
0. for all schools in New York. District residents need to involve themselves in
0. upcoming issues confronting Schalmont. They need to become part of the
solutions. I hope to help facilitate this need.
Biography (100 words or less, please):
My name is John DiCocco, I'm 41, married with three children. It's my first time running for a seat on the board. I am a graduate of Draper High School and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with BS in Mechanical Engineering. I work in General Electrics Global Projects Operation as a Contract Manager. Outside of work I enjoy golf, softball, watching my kids play sports, spending time with family, and Cub Scouts with my son. I have been a resident in the district for 10 years and have served on the Community Budget Advisory Committee the last two years.
50 words or less each:
Why are you running for school board?
The current boards approach isn't working for students, taxpayers, or teachers. In 2003 Schalmont spent less than $31,000,000 to serve 2200 students, this year (09-10) we're spending over $42,000,000 to serve less than 2000. Teachers have been laid off, class sizes have increased, and residents' taxes have increased over 50%.
If elected, what do you hope to accomplish?
Refocus spending and resources towards smaller class sizes in the elementary and middle schools and increased advanced placement opportunities in the high school. Work with students, teachers, and residents to agree on a long term plan that makes sense for all.