Johnson was then transported to St. Peter's Hospital in Albany where he was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit. There, he had a pacemaker installed to help normalize his heartbeat.
"They had it hooked up as quickly as possible," Quinn said about the use of the AED. "Shortly thereafter Colonie EMS and police were on the scene. Everything happened in a period of 4 to 5 minutes."
The next day, Colonie EMS came back to collect the defibrillator. When a nurse took out a chip from the AED that gave information on Johnson's conditioned, the machine said that he had flatlined until the shock was administered.
Hutton said it was more of a team effort that saved Johnson's life rather than an individual using an AED machine. He even said that it would take "a total idiot" to not know how to use the machine since it talks a person through the process step by step.
"People in the news have been calling me a hero," he said. "I'm not a hero. I was in the right place at the right time. It was a group effort. Everyone did their part, and I just happened to be the AED guy."
Johnson said he has not yet talked to the men who saved his life, but he intends to.
As a result of his recent collapse, Johnson said he has a new bucket list he is working on. The only medical condition he had prior to that day was an irregular heartbeat that was diagnosed in the early '90s. For the most part, he said, his health is looking good.
"Yes, it is looking all right," he said. "I could almost shoot foul shots."
Colonie EMS Deputy Chief Peter Barry said this incident proves why it is important to have the proper CPR training and AED machine in all public facilities. With good bystander knowledge of CPR and early defibrillator use, Johnson's life was saved.