Quantcast

Nisky takes green pledge

Solar panels planned around town

— “I encourage you now to go to the other towns,” said Landry to Werner.

The town has made a good start on its pledge by teaming up with Monolith for solar panel installation.

The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority is being sought to fund the solar power equipment through the Solar Electric Incentive Program. In order for the town to proceed, the project must be approved by NYSERDA for funding. Then Monolith would install the solar equipment and maintain it, and the town would receive 20 percent of the power generated. The remaining 80 percent would go to Monolith.

“We don’t have any financial obligation. They will be paying for everything,” said Landry. “This will be at no cost to the town, and we will be saving energy.”

Monolith approached the town with the proposal, and Landry said the town is always looking at alternative energy options. Also, Landry said the representatives from Monolith he’s been working with are also town residents.

“They are very excited they can work with their hometown to do this project,” he said.

After submitting a grant application to NYSERDA, it takes around 30 to 45 days to get a response, said Landry. If it is approved, Landry said, the panels would probably be installed throughout town in a couple of months. The exact locations are still being discussed, but Town Hall is one proposed area.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment