Elderly woman dies in Altamont fire

Preliminary findings indicate that a fire at a home in Altamont, which claimed the life of an elderly woman, was accidental.

The fire happened the morning of Dec. 13 at a home on 2 Marion Court. Investigators believe the fire started in the living room of the home of Ethel Davis, 71.

The Altamont Fire Department and mutual aid companies responded to the home at 11:52 a.m. to find the two-story single family home in flames.

Minutes later, firefighters began a search of the home and found Davis near a doorway. Davis was removed from the house by firefighters.

“It appears that the fire had been burning for some time prior to our arrival,” said Altamont Fire Chief Paul Miller. “Due to the location of this home on a cul-du-sac, it took some time for someone to find this unfortunate situation.”

According to Miller, it appeared Davis was trying to escape the home but was overcome by the fire.

A cause of death has yet to be determined.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment