Quantcast

Schalmont school closure possible to cut expenses

"We are waiting for the governor's budget, and the Board of Education's plan is still to make the decision after we hear the governor's recommended budget," said Kelsey. "This is a very difficult fiscal situation; we have a lot of unknowns. We don't know if we are going to have a tax cap, what mandates are funded and not funded substantial decreases in state aid, so we need to put the total picture together."

If Cuomo does include a tax cap of 2 percent, said Kelsey, the community consensus was to make sure programs would continue to be offered at the high school level to enable students to be prepared for college and workforce.

Thompson said he doesn't expect for state aid to do anything more than remain flat, which, with rising costs, creates a concern for the financial planning.

"We will just have to wait, and, hopefully, in the coming weeks something will be released from the state to give us some more information to work off of," said Thompson.

In order to keep all schools in the district open with the current programming, assuming state aid stays flat, there would need to be a 7 to 8 percent tax increase, he said, which his something the "community can't afford."

"I understand people are passionate about it and it is not falling on deaf ears," he said. "This is one of the most significant issues that we are facing since my five years on the board. It can't be minimized at all.""

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment