Man dies after being tased by police

Colonie police are looking into the use of a taser in gym altercation

— Colonie police are investigating what led to the death of a man who was tased by police after allegedly exploding into a violent rampage at Gold's Gym.

At 6:18 a.m., police received two phone calls alerting them that Chad Brothers, 32, of Troy, was damaging property and getting into confrontations at a Gold's Gym on Troy-Schenectady Road, according to Colonie Police Chief Steve Heider.

Police were able to obtain video from a surveillance camera in the gym to see what had taken place. According to Heider, Brothers had fallen off of a cardio machine before he began lashing out at others. In one instance, witnesses said he grabbed a woman's water and took a drink from it. He then allegedly turned up the speed on a treadmill a man was on before punching him in the face. Heider said the patron was not seriously injured.

Brothers then left the building before coming right back in, when Heider said he "started on a rampage" and began knocking over 700-pound pieces of equipment.

Heider said Brothers left the gym again but came back, stormed into an office and began throwing around desks and chairs. An officer then arrived and confronted Brothers, but he soon started throwing things back at the officer, Heider said. The taser was then deployed.

When more officers arrived, Brothers allegedly began fighting back again. Heider said two to four different tasers were used on Brothers. Heider said police are still investigating the exact number of tasers used on Brothers.

Police then went to roll Brothers over to place him in handcuffs, but he had already passed out. Heider said an officer and an off-duty EMT began performing CPR on Brothers. A defibrillator was also hooked up to Brothers but gave a message to not shock him because he was still breathing.

Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment