The couple met in a local religious group and soon fell in love.
“There was a Catholic young adults group that met … it met at the old Hotel Van Curler that is now [Elston Hall at Schenectady County Community College] and that is where I met my husband,” she said. “Soon after that we were engaged and married.”
The marriage on Feb. 23, 1963, also provided an unexpected memorable moment.
At the wedding, Chaisson backed into a candle and her wedding veil caught on fire, but she didn’t even notice. One of her co-workers at the wedding rushed over and pulled the veil off her head before any injuries or flaming hair could result.
“I had no idea that all this is going on,” she said. “The bridal veil was very thin and flimsy … so he rushed over and pulled it and yanked it off my head … probably saved my life.”
She said her husband, who passed away in November 2005, had a great sense of humor, which she said could help anyone have a long and loving marriage.
“I have been really blessed with a wonderful life, I keep pinching myself,” she said.