Saratoga An early morning fire on Friday, July 20, at Bishop Hubbard Apartments at 54 Katherine Drive, Halfmoon prompted residents to flee thebuilding as fire companies battled a fire that is believed to have startedabove an electrical room in an attic space.
Several fire districts responded to the blaze, includingHalfmoon/Waterford, West Crescent, Hillcrest and Clifton Park/Halfmoon. The nearby Halfmoon Senior Center was utilized to provide shelter for the nearly 60 residents of the senior housing apartments.
According to Halfmoon/Waterford Fire District spokesman John Delesandro, the call reporting the fire came into the station at 3:55 a.m. on Friday morning.
“When we arrived you could smell what smelled like burnt food at its worst, but it wasn’t food,” said Delesandro. “I approached the door of the electrical room, which was unlocked, and saw a large cloud of smoke.”
Delesandro said the fire was tightly contained and appeared to have started above the electrical room in an attic space. He used a chemical fire extinguisher until fire crews could connect and deliver a hand line hose to the smoke-filled area.
“Everybody worked well together. … The Red Cross stepped in tohelp and it was difficult because many of the residents aren’t very mobile,” said Delesandro.
He said fire crews worked until about 10:30 a.m. on Friday.
In a statement, Halfmoon Town Supervisor, Mindy Wormuth said she was grateful for the quick response of emergency service/fire personnel.
“Without their prompt and professional response, the damage would have been much more extensive. As always, I am proud of the services provided to our residents,” she said.
Affected residents are being provided with living accommodations until repairs are complete.