Quantcast

Boys lacrosse: Colonie must fill holes for 2012 season

Defense, attack will be led by younger players

Colonie’s Mike Metzger, left, looks for a way around a Queensbury defender during last Friday’s scrimmage. Metzger is one of three returning midfielders for the Garnet Raiders this season.

Colonie’s Mike Metzger, left, looks for a way around a Queensbury defender during last Friday’s scrimmage. Metzger is one of three returning midfielders for the Garnet Raiders this season. Photo by Rob Jonas.

— The Colonie boys lacrosse team has some issues to address as it gets ready to start the 2012 season.

The Garnet Raiders graduated most of their starters from last year’s Suburban Council South Division co-championship team, leaving head coach Mike Joyce with the task of rebuilding with youth.

“We’re a little young, and my seniors haven’t stepped up yet,” said Joyce. “We’re struggling a bit.”

On paper, midfield should be Colonie’s strength going into the season. Three starters are back — Mike Metzger, Elijah Cragl and Andrew Hooten. Junior Mike Mineau is also back to lead the attack.

“I’ve got four guys I’m relying on (for offense),” said Joyce. “If they don’t produce, it will be a long season.”

Most of Colonie’s de-fense is new, beginning with goaltender Brendan Beedy and extending to the defensemen. Still, Joyce likes what his backline players can give him.

“Athletically, we’re much better defensively than we were last year,” said Joyce. “We don’t have to play zone (defense) all the time anymore. We can play (man-to-man) and mix it up at times.”

Colonie gets its first test next Tuesday when it plays Shaker at Union College.

0
Vote on this Story by clicking on the Icon

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment