The Colonie Police Department has released photos of a suspect and vehicle wanted in connection with the theft of a package off the doorstep of a Boght Road residence. These images were captured by the homeowner’s surveillance system when the theft occurred on Dec. 3 at 3:12 p.m. There have been five other reported package thefts in the Town of Colonie since Nov. 22. These took place during the hours of 11 a.m and 5:30 p.m. and have occurred on the following streets: Boght Road, Windrose Way, Corina Court, Dutch Meadows Drive, Wakefield Lane, and Peachtree Lane. With the exception of Peachtree Lane, the streets are in the northern section of town. The stolen packages had been sent by UPS, FedEx and the US Postal Service and included a variety of items from a plastic shelving unit to electronics.
The attached pictures show the suspect is a White Male with sunglasses and dressed all in black and the vehicle is a Silver Hyundai Elantra four door sedan. Anyone that recognizes the suspect or vehicle or has not reported a suspected stolen package is urged to contact the Colonie Police Department at 783-2744.
Tips to prevent package theft:
• Request a signature confirmation of delivery. By doing this, the deliverer will have to wait until you’re available or deliver the package to a neighbor.
• If you have an understanding boss, have your packages delivered to you at work.
• Track packages online to see exactly when they’re sent to your house for delivery. If you’re out of town at the time, phone a neighbor to pick up the package for you.
• Leave special instructions for where to deliver the packages. A suggested place is on the side or back of the house, so that the package is out of sight from the road.
• Residents should contact police about any suspicious persons or vehicles observed in their neighborhood.