June 15, 2012
One thing you don't usually see when pulling into Niskayuna Town Hall for a Town Board meeting is a group of people sitting in lawn chairs in front of the gazebo.
Town government wasn't the main attraction last night (June 14) at Niskayuna Town Hall, because it was the first night of the town's summer concert and event series. The Bill Lawrence Trio was performing some smooth jazz sounds as some people filtered into the special meeting, but most had chairs in tow to sit and relax to the music. By the time the special meeting and agenda meeting that followed ended, it was silent again outside.
All concerts and events are free and start at 7 p.m. on Thursday's, with the town's gazebo as the stage for performers.
“We encourage all residents to come and enjoy these concerts with your neighbors and friends. Bring a lawn chair and a snack, and relax and listen to the various musical artists,” Town Supervisor Joe Landry said.
The dates and performances are as follows, with a brief description provided by town officials:
- June 28: The Rogues — Beatles to Bon Jovi, Rock-n-Roll music from the 50s to today
- July 12: The Misty Jazz Kats — classics from the standard jazz repertoire as well as contemporary and popular songs
- July 19: Winchester and Young — classic rock with blended harmonies
- July 26: Nisky Dixie Cats — Family friendly, Dixieland style music
- August 2: Two Broads with Alotta Sound — music from all eras, in styles ranging through jazz, blues, country, pop and beyond
- August 9: Schenectady County Movie Night — movie is still to be announced