Anyone who’s experienced a severe storm knows it can be overwhelming or even traumatic. Helping your family prepare in advance is a great way to alleviate some of the worries. The tips below can spark the conversation in a fun way.
Make emergency preparedness a family affair. Get everyone involved before weather strikes. Talk as a family about potential weather hazards in your area. Once you’ve identified the risks, take these preventive actions:
Action: Create a Plan
· Designate a meeting point if you get separated
· Assign each family member responsibilities should a storm occur
· Create a home evacuation plan
· Maintain a home inventory in case of loss
Action: Make an Emergency Kit
· Bottled water
· Protein-rich food
· Battery operated radio
· Extra clothing
· Blankets or sleeping bags
Action: Don’t forget about your pets!
· Pack items in advance so your pet is also ready for the next emergency.