Local agent Anthony Gucciardo’s daily activities involve interviewing for new listings and helping buyers find the right home.
“I’m not a huge chit-chatter and respect my clients time,” he said. “I think of myself as a focused and direct professional. My clients appreciate that I’m in and out of their house within 30 to 45 minutes, answer all questions and take as much time with them as needed, but not more.”
Gucciardo is not a real estate broker that tells you that you have a gorgeous home as soon as he walks through the door.
“I remember when I was 15 years old, my parents interviewed a real estate agent to sell their raised ranch in Latham”, he said. “As she was leaning down in the foyer to remove her shoes, she told my parents they had a gorgeous home. I said to myself, ‘she hasn’t even looked around at the house.’ Why would she say that?”
To him that was a sales pitch and he prefers to keep it real.
“I believe in swift and efficient customer service and being respectful of my clients time,” he said.
For example, last week Gucciardo went into a property where there was an extreme cat odor. Although it was difficult to tell the sellers, he explained to them that if he smelled it, the buyers will smell it and it could cost the seller thousands. The same situation happens with cultural cooking.
“Some spices leave a lasting odor and its not inviting for potential buyers walking through the door,” He said, “I will help you get rid of issues, but I need to tell you up front what the potential issues are.”
Gucciardo said that some people take offense when you tell them the house smells, but many appreciate the honesty.
“I would say that 85% of people appreciate me being honest and the other 15% may find it a little insulting,” he said. “When you’re hiring a professional you want the truth.”
Sales are up in 2019 for Gucciardo Real Estate. They currently have 68 houses under contract set to close in the next 6 weeks. He attributes this to several local agents retiring and some veteran brokers scaling back the amount of business they do.
“I am getting a lot of business from prominent agents who have retired,” Gucciardo said. “I am a recognizable brand in the Capital Region and clients want someone with experience who they can trust.”
He said that new agents in the business don’t seem to have the same work ethic as in the past. “I pride myself on answering my phone and returning all calls promptly,” Gucciardo said. “I still find it perplexing that an agent with one listing can’t return a call for 2 days or send a simple text. You hire me and you receive efficient prompt communication.”
Gucciardo has no plans to slow down and is happy with his boutique style firm.
“I don’t have 50 or 100 agents. I love what I am doing and will continue to go as long as I am able,” he said. “I still wake up every day and love what I do. It’s not a job, but rather a lifestyle.”